Wednesday, May 11, 2011

you live.you learn

Osama bin Laden was killed last weekend. Just about everyone knows this. I, however, did not know this--that is, until I went down to the second floor that night. I was having one of those quiet nights watching a movie alone in my room when I was spontaneously told to come downstairs and have some cake. My best friend, Katy, lives on the International Living and Learning Community floor so I've had the opportunity to meet a lot of the great people that live there. Last Sunday, it was the birthday of one of the floor members. I came downstairs to find their whole floor in the kitchen, watching the news. They quickly filled me in and continued their discussion of what this means for America, Afghanistan, Obama, and the rest of the world.

This is the reason I love hanging out on the ILLC floor. It truly is a community--a place where people with similar concerns and interests can experience college and life together. I've found that joining clubs is a crucial part of college and LLCs are like clubs on steroids! You're not just meeting with your friends once or twice a week, you're actually living with them. You get to sit and talk about politics, classes, and whatever else interests you until the wee hours of the night; go on retreats, meet guest speakers, do community service...
Plus, the cake tastes pretty good too. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment